Lineth Chepkurui repeats title in women's race as event marks a century
From Bay to Breakers
SAN FRANCISCO (May 15, 2011) - Ridouane Harroufi of Morocco won the 100th Zazzle Bay to Breakers 12K in 34 minutes, 26 seconds, becoming his country's first athlete to ever win the race in its century of existence.
Harroufi is the first non-Kenyan male to win in 20 years. Lineth Chepkurui of Kenya, the returning female winner and world record holder in the Women's Division, again finished first in the Women's Division with a time of 39:12.
Harroufi and Chepkurui were also the first male and female to cross the summit at Hayes Street Hill.
The first Americans to finish was Jason Hartmann, 30, of Boulder, Colo., who edged out fan favorite Meb Keflezighi for sixth place in 35:28. Olympian Keflezighi was seventh in 35:34. The last time an American man won the race was Ed Eyestone's 1986 victory.
In the women's race, Magdalena Lewy-Boulet, 37, who lives just across the Bay in Oakland, was sixth in 41:26.
"In our centennial year of the Zazzle Bay to Breakers, we are thrilled that this race continues to attract such a world-class athletic field," said Angela Fang, general manager of Zazzle Bay to Breakers. "Having a history making finish like this at the 100th running of the Zazzle Bay to Breakers is a sweet addition to this historic day."
Originally known as the Cross City Race, Bay to Breakers was first held on January 1, 1912. In its first year, 186 runners started the race at Embarcadero and Market streets and only 121 runners completed the race.
The winner of the first race was Robert Jackson "Bobby" Vlught, who won with a time of 44:10. Since then Bay to Breakers has grown to be one of the largest footraces in the world with more than 50,000 participants and close to 100,000 spectators annually. The race has grown to be a celebration for everyone and exemplifies The City's irrepressible color and its affection for eclectic traditions.
100th Zazzle Bay to Breakers 12K
San Francisco, CA, Sunday, May 15, 2011
1) Ridouane Harroufi (MAR), 34:26, $37,000*#
2) Direba Merga (ETH), 34:29, $3000
3) Allan Kiprono (KEN), 34:31, $2000
4) Tesfaye Sendeku (ETH), 35:10, $1250
5) Lani Kiplagat (KEN), 35:21, $750
6) Jason Hartmann (USA), 35:28, $1000
7) Meb Keflezighi (USA), 35:34, $500
8) Bolota Asmerom (USA), 36:40, $1000 (First Bay Area Male, third American)
9) Neil McDonagh (USA), 36:53
10) Patrick Rizzo (USA), 37:00
1) Lineth Chepkurui (KEN), 39:12, $12,000*
2) Mamitu Daska (ETH), 39:13, $3000
3) Jelliah Tingea (KEN), 39:58, $2000
4) Misiker Mekonnin Demiss (ETH), 40:36, $1250
5) Jane Kibii (KEN), 41:21, $750
6) Magdalena Lewy-Boulet (USA), 41:26, $1750 (Top American, First Bay Area Female)
7) Laura Bennett (USA), 41:57, $500
8) Annie Bersagel (USA), 42:09, $250
9) Yiou Wang (USA), 42:35
10) Michelle Frey (USA), 42:52
*Includes $5000 bonus for first to Hayes Street Summit
#Includes $25,000 for first to break the tape at the Breakers
Deeper results, photos and more at zazzlebaytobreakers.com