Thursday, February 9, 2012

Sarris, McAlister Win Surf City USA Marathon

Event record 20,000-plus entrants enjoy near-perfect running conditions

By: Mike Kingsbury, Team MK







HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. - (February 5, 2012) - Paul Sarris, age 34 of Aliso Viejo, won the 16th Surf City USA Marathon in a time of 2 hours, 30 minutes, 7 seconds on Sunday morning. Competing in his first-ever marathon, Sarris finished more than seven minutes ahead of runner-up Gray Augustus, age 26 from Ammon, Idaho.

"Surf City was a great event," said Sarris. "The volunteers were everywhere and very helpful. The whole experience was amazing."


In the women's marathon, Carla McAlister (age 34 from San Clemente) defeated Hayley McKenn (age 31 from Portland, OR). McAllister's time, 3:02:48, was more than three minutes faster than McKenn's (3:05:52).

In the accompanying half-marathon, the winners were Steven Osaduik (age 26 from Canada) who finished in 1:06:33 and Liz Camy (age 28 from Chico) who clocked 1:17:18.

On her 78th birthday, Anne Garrett from nearby Oceanside crossed the half-marathon finish line in 2:08:33, coming in first in her age group (75-79) and setting a U.S. single age record with a pace of 9:49 per mile (a world class 99% age-graded performance).

"I did my last half-marathon in January of 2010. It took a long time to recover and I said I'd never run another half. When I realized Surf City was being held on my birthday this year, I decided to sign up for it. I wasn't sure how I would hold up for this one, but I was very pleased when I finished in the time I did. I felt better this year than I did two years ago," said Garrett.

Garrett is no stranger to record setting. Last April, she came in first for the 75-79 division at the Carlsbad 5000. Her time was 25:59, shattering the national record for a 5K in her age group by 13 seconds.

The race reached its capacity on Jan. 5, the earliest in its history, and the seventh consecutive year the event has sold out according to general manager Amy Tomchak.

California's largest combined oceanfront marathon and half-marathon featured more than 20,000 pre-registered runners from all 50 states and 18 foreign countries. A crowd of more than 50,000 lined Pacific Coast Highway in Huntington Beach for near-perfect racing conditions. An additional 50,000 spectators attended the Active Lifestyle Expo on Saturday.

More information and complete results are available at: www.runsurfcity.com

this article Courtesy of Running USA wire

No comments:

Post a Comment