Friday, June 1, 2012

Race Report: My first BUCKLE!!!

Pigtails 100mi Challenge 5/26/12-5/27/12
by Kim Kuhlmann



The Course:
100mi around a lake you never see... For the 100 miler I had to run a 6mile out-and-back, and then complete 10 loops. Each loop was 9.4mi and had a main aid station and bathrooms at the start/ finish, and a smaller aid station (no bathrooms) at about halfway around. Even-numbered loops were run counterclockwise, odd were run clockwise.
The terrain was mainly non-technical trail/ gravel with some areas of dirt/ rock. Elevation for each loop was around 900ft--basically some rolling grade--only one steep climb at the end of the odd loops.









Training:
I basically followed the 50-mile per week training plan out of the book Relentless Forward Progress. I wanted to run most of my long runs as races, so I did alter the plan a little to accommodate some of the 50k events I wanted to do, but basically my long runs were 30/20 back to backs on the weekends with an ‘easy’ week (15/10) every 3 weeks. I went for ‘time on my feet’ during both the races and training runs...so I was usually out for around 7-8 hours for 50k. The longest single run I did in training pre-100miler was the Mt. Si 50mile (5 weeks out from race day). I ran the Mt. Si 50mi in 9:04:xx, felt really good, and the course was similar in terrain to Pigtails, so I got a little confidence from that. Two weeks later I ran a marathon PR--it wasn’t planned, but I had a ‘golden race’ ;-). I had a 2-week taper prior to Pigtails and was really antsy and irritable. I was concerned that I had not done enough mileage/ should have tried to do a 100k for training.
**Aside from the long runs on the weekends I did one day of speedwork most weeks unless I was torn up from a race, and ran around 5-10mi the two other weekdays. I trained with Will (personal trainer and fellow ultrarunner) 2x a week to focus on mobility, ROM, and injury prevention--I used TP therapy rollers for myofascial release at least 2-3x a week. I usually took 1-2 full rest days a week.
**I had abstained from caffeinated gels/ beverages for 6 weeks prior to the race.

Pre-race:
I took FULL advantage of this being a loop course and having access to whatever supplies I wanted/ could need at a regular and predictable 9.4 mile interval. In retrospect, I really overpacked, but I was not sure what I would want to eat or drink or if I would need extra clothes/ shoes, etc. I wanted to control as many factors as I could so that I would have no excuses not to complete the event. (I have a separate list of gear I brought, but basically I had a medium sized cooler, two medium storage bins with nutrition/ supplement needs, my foot box, extra clothing / shoes in a bag, and another bag of food.) I had plenty to share with fellow runners and my pacers :-).
The night before the race I taped my blister-prone toes with tincture of benzoine and kinesiotek tape. (My L big toe, and my R big toe and pinky toe). I planned on wearing Drymax socks so I did not use any lubricants or powders.
I also foam-rolled/ trigger point released my legs for about an hour.
I woke up at 3am and got ready for the big day!





Gear:
I started the race wearing:
La Sportiva Vertical-K trail shoes
Drymax socks
CEP compression calf sleeves
Ink N Burn running skirt (peacock!)
Moving Comfort running bra
Salomon UPF 50 super-lite wicking short sleeve shirt
Guerilla Running Racing Club singlet
Ink N Burn arm sleeves
Manzella gloves
Salomon S-lab 1.5L hydration pack
Garmin 405
Timex Ironman watch (to set up my nutrition alert intervals)
Aquaphor applied to all chafe-prone areas
Sunscreen applied
...and of course, hair in pigtails! ;-)
I topped it off in style with my ratty ‘ultra-running robe’ (idea taken from Pigtails herself, who often shows up to events sporting a robe)

On my way to the race I drank a small container of plain coconut water and ate a ‘Tanya Bar’ (cashew-cranberry). I also took 1 capsule of vitamin b-12, 2 Tissue Rejuvenator capsules, 1 BCAA capsule, and a Pepcid AC (advice to me from John Spannuth).
**I also saw my brother, Danny, on I-5 on the way up to the race. He was cruising along the slow lane in his VW bus--that was a lucky sighting! ;-)

Race Goals:
To finish and earn my buckle
Stick with my nutrition and running pace plan
Not to vomit or cry (I HATE doing either one)
HAVE FUN!!!

Race Plan:
Walk ALL the hills my first 5 loops/ 50 miles. (advice to me by Betsy Rogers)
Eat real food (~100-150cal) alternating with HammerGel every 30min (I set my watch to beep)
Drink 1 Endurolytes Fizz tablet dissolved in a small flask every loop.
Take 1 BCAA tablet every hour, Tissue Rejuvenator at 4h in and as needed.
Have a plan/ know what I need BEFORE getting to the aid station.
Wait to use caffeine until mile 80 if possible.
Stay positive, keep moving forward.

Check-In:
I got to the event site early and set up all my aid supplies on a tarp that I had brought. My dad was already there and ready to go (his first 100miler as well). My brother Danny would be around to crew and possibly pace if needed. I briefed him on what I had in my boxes/ what I would want ready. It was quite chilly and the mosquitos were out. People running the 150miler and 200miler had started their races the Thursday and Friday before and were trickling through the start/ finish area. I got to catch Race Director Van Phan (Pigtails) herself coming in to check off another loop--she was running the 200mile!


THE RACE: 100MILES!!!
First 6mi (out and back): I started slow, which was very challenging because I was excited and it was cold and I wanted to warm up. 100 feet into the course there is a small incline--I wouldn’t even call it a hill. Normally I would have run it without an issue. I forced myself to walk it. I noticed a couple of other people walking it too. I continued to walk each incline/ hill, then run the flats/ downhills at an easy pace. At the turn-around I was in the back quarter of the pack (not that I really cared). I distracted myself by chatting with Jason (his first 100miler as well).  Takao was taking photos from the top of a hill, so I did run a few strides up the hill to get a good action picture (of course!), but I stuck with my plan otherwise.

Loop 1 (miles 7-15.4): I didn’t want to stop at the aid station so soon, but the sun was bright and I decided it would be wise for me to grab my visor to shield my eyes and face. I grabbed it and headed back out. Jason and I ran/ walked the loop together. I had my camera and took pictures. I noted that there were not many areas to discreetly go pee if I had to on the course. Much of it was residential/ fenced or alongside a road and the more wooded areas had stinging nettles and blackberry brambles...not many options. My friend Sabrina had come out to pace a friend of hers who was running the 200miler. She met us about ⅔ of the way through the loop and ran with us, which was very kind.

Loop 2 (miles 15.5-24.8) Somewhere I lost Jason at the aid station. I really had to pee, so I took care of that (BTW, whoever stocked the park bathrooms was AWESOMELY thoughtful--the toilet paper was the super-thick soft variety--quite the luxury...especially noteable in the later miles of the race! ;-) TMI, I know, but really these things matter!) Other than the nature-break I needed nothing else, so I headed back out. I began chatting with another runner, Jeff, who happened to be the husband of one of my running friends (Lisa Wood)! I hadn’t met him yet, so we just ran easy and talked about running (of course!) .

Loop 3 (miles 24.9-34.2) I stopped to stock up on Hammergels and PickyBars. I exchanged my electrolyte flask for a new one (Danny had it ready to go). I grabbed my Xshot (a handheld camera stick so you can take self-photos, movies). I peed again. Headed back out on the odd loop. I run this loop alone mostly, so I took videos and pictures to distract myself. I decided I did not like running the course this direction as well as running it the even direction...the final 3 miles of the loop are long just-inclined-enough-hills to make you tired of walking, yet too much of an incline to run the whole way and it is all exposed and getting warm at this point in the day. The final 200 feet is a very steep hill to climb. At least I only had to do it this way 3 more times.




Loop 4 (miles 34.3-43.6) I am still sticking to my walk-the-inclines/ hills plan. My nutrition plan seems to be working. I drop off my arm sleeves and gloves. It is getting warm out (70ish). I grab a bunch of green grapes and Danny gives me a pre-portioned slice of Dave’s SinDawg cinnamon roll bread from the cooler. It tastes GREAT!!! I think I also drank a coconut water that was partially frozen and slushy. I am filling/drinking my 1.5 liter hydration pack about every loop, so I feel well-hydrated.
I find motivation in seeing the 150 and 200 mile runners out on the course. At this point they have been out here for 28-48 hours. Some look really good, others look really tired, but they are all moving along relentlessly. Determined ultra-zombies.
About halfway through the loop I catch up with Kristin Parker. She’s running well and looks strong. We chat a bit, and as we are going along I suddenly get a searing pain on my R pinky toe. It really bites and forces me to hobble a bit for mile or so. I still have about 4 miles to go before the start/ finish aid station and I think I can make it, so I just continue along. Eventually the pain subsides and can run/ walk normally.
I check into the start/ finish, restock my pack, eat a piece of pita bread and more green grapes and ask Danny what he thinks about my foot. He says that if it isn’t bothering me to just keep going. I don’t really feel like taking my shoe off, so I decide to go for another loop and see what happens. Betsy Rogers mentions that there is a woman available to aid with foot issues should I need something. Danny tells me my sister Ashley is there and started out on a loop pacing my dad.

Loop 5 (miles 43.7-53) Ugh. Another odd loop. At least maybe Ashley will be able to pace me on my next loop. It is really hot out and a bit uncomfortable in some of the exposed non/ shady sections. I focus on drinking enough water and maintaining my electrolytes. (I discovered on my last loop that running with my Fizz tablets in their little tube had pulverized them into dust...I gave that mess to Danny to figure out). I was concerned that I needed a little more salt so I ate a couple of the Margarita Shot Blocks at the aid station.
I run into my dad and Ashley at about 4mi into the loop. Ashley leaves my dad (he told her to go pace me instead) and runs with me. I inquire about my dad’s condition...Ashley reports that he’s not doing so well in the heat and has ‘tunnel vision’ and his legs ‘are shot’. I hope that Danny can tend to him at the aid station and make him take a little break and hydrate.
Ashley and I continue and I break out the Xshot and make a little video to document mile 50. I am aware my Garmin may die at any time...it’s given me the ‘batteries low’ alert. I fill Ashley in on my plan, and I find extra energy in the company...a couple of times I glance at my pace on the running portions and we are going at 8:45min/mi. I have remind myself to back off, and am glad my Garmin still works so I can temper myself.

Loop 6 (miles 53.1-62.4) Yay! Over halfway done! I restock my pack. I text my pacer/ friend/ trainer Will to let him know I have finished 50miles. (he is coming to pace me at about 10pm). I eat a Rice Krispy treat and some watermelon. Danny has sorted out my Fizz issue, but I choose to stash a coconut water in my pack instead.  I haven’t thought about my feet at all--this is good. I tell Danny that I will want my Mexican Coke at the end of my loop. (This is my traditional reward/ ritual at ultras) Ashley and I head back out. I am surprised that Garmin is still going...I wonder if it will make it past mile 59--my longest run to date.
The volunteer at the start/ finish had filled my pack with ice and water--it felt really nice and cool on my back and to drink. :-) I pulled out my coconut water from my pocket and Ashley laughed at me for carrying it--I do love and use my pockets! :-)
I accidentally hit a button on my Timex and it stopped my chronograph :-(
Garmin dies at around mile 61. :-(  I take it off, and I feel like my arm is super light!

Loop 7 (miles 62.3-71.8) At the end of loop 6 my R foot felt like I had too much pressure on my toes. Not really painful, but kinda annoying. My L foot felt OK. As I was running I pondered just taking off my R shoe and changing socks on that foot since my L foot seemed OK. After all, I just had 40miles to go...
I ran into the start/ finish aid station. My other brother, Michael, is there and ready to go run a loop with me. Yay! Danny had my celebratory Mexican Coke opened and ready to go (Awesome crew person!!!). He is helping with my dad, so I sit in a chair to investigate my foot situation and tell Michael not to let me sit for more than 5 minutes. It is the first time I have sat in a chair during the whole race.
I take off my shoe...and ease off my sock...and WOW!!! I have a HUGE toe-sized water blister on the toe adjacent to my pinky toe. My pinky toe has lost much of its tape job and the nail is peeling off. The tape is loose on my big toe and I peel it off to discover a bulging dime-sized blood blister. Great. Well, at least now I know why my shoe felt tight. I ask Michael for my foot box. He hands it to me and steps back. I get my lancet out and lean over to try and drain the blisters...I can’t lean over. Each time I try my calf and hip flexor start to cramp up. I didn’t expect this to be an issue...hmmm. I ask Michael to help me lance my blister. He gives me a look and says ‘no way’--I ask him to go ask Betsy if that ‘foot lady’ is around anywhere to help me or if someone could just come and help me drain my blisters.
I am fortunate and the ‘foot angel’ (Becky) is available and comes over with a big box of supplies. She looks at my foot and says ‘yikes, that’s one of the worst I’ve seen today’. I tell her I can’t lean over to drain it and she sits down and starts analyzing it. She then tells me that the ball of my foot is getting macerated (white and pruny) and has cracked and there is no good way to tape that because the tape will just rip the skin off and make it more painful. I told her to just do what she could and I would manage. She lances, disinfects, tapes, and powders my R foot. She then drains and tapes a small blister on my L big toe as well. Unfortunately the skin on the L ball of my foot is macerated and cracking too...She powders it and we decide on using my thin Hammer socks with Tom’s Blistersheild powder in the sock. I could not even get my own socks on, leaning over just cramped me up! I decide to stick with my LaSportiva shoes because they have been comfortable so far, and I see no reason to change shoes at this point.




As I sat getting my foot issues tended to, I enjoyed my Coke, ate some peanut-butter pretzels and some watermelon, and watched/ cheered for runners coming through the aid station.
I think I spent about 30-35 minutes at the aid station sitting before things were all patched up and I headed back out.
Finally, Michael and I head out on my 7th loop. It is starting to cool off a little and I had grabbed my arm warmers and my headlamp as it was getting to be dusk. I think sitting for a bit had made me feel cold, too. It took a mile or so for me to get my rhythm back, but my feet felt MUCH better...at least I could pretty much ignore the slight to moderate pain of my foot skin. The mosquitos are coming out again. I put on bug spray at the mid-loop aid station. Michael is good company and we talk about his upcoming 50k. I realize that I will only have to run one more odd loop after this one--I decide to run up some of the annoying inclines on the last part of the loop just because I was tired of walking them. Andy rides up on his bike towards the end of my loop--another nice surprise.

Loop 8 (miles 71.9-81.2) I come into the start/ finish aid station and drink ½ of a Monster energy drink. I eat half of a cowboy cookie. I stock my pack with Tropical Hammergels and PickyBars. It’s getting a little hard to eat but my stomach feels OK. I decide I want my ‘magic pants’ (CWX compression capris) and change into them (much more difficult of a task than I anticipated. Compression tights are a challenge to get on when your skin is already sweaty and salty and swollen and you can’t bend over very well...I was finally successful.) The ‘magic pants’ felt GREAT--like fresh legs! I grab my ipod for this loop. Danny loans me a charged Garmin just so I can check my pace if I want.
It is about 10 minutes until 10pm. I know Will should be here to pace me soon. I head out on my loop and tell Danny to send him to meet me en route when he arrives.
This is a night loop--my headlamp is on and I like running in the dark. The oncoming headlamps of other runners do not bother me as much as I thought they would.  The frogs are croaking really loud. I turn on my ipod and focus on running as much as I can. My feet are holding up. I smell someone’s BBQ and think of how great a hamburger would be. The caffeine kicks in and I feel fast...though I know I am not. Andy rides his bike up about a half mile and doubles back a few times. I notice that I can tell where the hills are from his shifting gears. (it’s kinda hard to tell where hills begin and end in the dark). I try to eat some potato chips at the aid station and have to spit them out. Too dry.
About a half-mile past the mid-loop aid station I am walking up a hill and decide to do my 75mi-ish video check-in. I hear footsteps behind me and “Is that Kim???” Yay! Will has found me and he ran around the loop and brought me McDonalds french fries!!! I finish my video check-in and eat some fries. They taste good--even cold! We continue on and I fill him in on my plan and how it’s been going thus far. I send Andy ahead to let Danny know what to have ready for me at the aid station.


Loop 9 (miles 81.3-90.6) I come into the aid station and drink the other ½ of my Monster energy drink. I grab some grapes and eat most of the rest of my fries on the walk up to the ‘T’ in the loop. I yell “Let the race begin!!!” (Ultrarunner Kevin Douglas told me that the run does not start until mile 80!) Will gets me in and out of the start/ finish area. I am glad to be running this last odd loop. I tell Will that I do not like running the clockwise loops. He tells me stories and keeps me awake and moving. He reminds me to eat when my watch beeps (I have started to tune it out especially when I have my ipod on). When we get to the mid-loop aid station he makes me fill my hydration pack with water even though I don’t want to. I listen to my music to focus on my running form on the straights/ downhills. I switch my ipod off on the uphills when I am walking so I can focus on standing upright and breathing. I have begun to breathe much more heavily than usual, especially on the hills or when I stop running to walk. I get annoyed with hearing my breathing. My stomach feels a bit acidy.

Loop 10 (miles 90.7-100!!!) I run into the start/ finish area, grab some cherry ShotBlocks, a Mexican Coke, and some Tums. As I am heading back out, the timekeeper (Jess, I think) informs me that the first female had just left for her last loop about 2 minutes before me. I did not believe her and was certain there were others ahead of me...I really hadn’t been paying too much attention. I told her ‘Well, I just want to finish and get my buckle, I’m not gonna worry about that.’ She gave me a look and said, ‘Well, you still look strong’.
Will and I head back up the hill to the ‘T’ and I chug my Coke. I eat a bite of a PickyBar. That’s all I can handle. As we head down the steep decline I tell Will that “I don’t care about chasing who is in front of me, but it would be cool to be the second female cause I would win a Scott hoodie”! Will tells me to just relax and run. So I run. I think about how my legs are tired but don’t hurt and my knees feel good, I haven’t barfed, and I’ve stuck with my plan.  I think about how I have an awesome crew and pacers and how I am going to finish and get my BUCKLE!!! My feet do hurt, but it’s nothing I can’t block out.
About 2mi into the loop I pass the lead female. She appears to be running strong. I recognize her from past loops--she was always coming toward me--well into her next loop-- as I was finishing mine. We whisper encouragement to one another. This is the section with those annoying rolling inclines and I am running with focused effort. I want to just run the inclines/ hills and get them over with, but Will guides me to walk the inclines. I am breathing hard. Walking does help me catch my breath a little. The lead female passes me. We yo-yo back and forth a few times over the next couple miles. We turn a corner and head up a long hill. I walk much of it. She runs ahead. I watch as the reflective marks on her clothing fade into the night. I tell Will I don’t care about winning, but I at least want to rise to the challenge and feel like I ran as well as I am capable. We turn again and I recognize that this is the last section before the mid-loop aid station. It is downhill, so I run. I RUN! I look at Garmin and it says we are running 8:30min/mi (granted, it’s downhill, but nonetheless) I laugh and tell Will that I had bragged to Danny earlier that I would bust out some sub-9’s on my last loop (I was joking, but apparently it was possible). We are coming up on the aid station and I tell Will I need nothing. I still have water in my pack from the last loop when he made me fill it. I pop a couple of Shotblocks in my mouth and run through the aid station. The leader is there as I run past. We turn and run down a hill and then hit a bit of a climb. Will starts walking and it’s the same pace as my attempted uphill trot, so I walk too. I tell him I am not going to look behind me, so he’ll have to let me know if a runner is coming. We come to a flat part and I run. This is the ‘single track’ portion of the course. The rocks are a bit bigger and more irritating to my feet than the smaller gravel. I turn on my ipod and focus on where I can put my feet to avoid hitting the painful rocks. We get to the gravel again and run/walk some hills. I see the lone bench that has mocked me for 10 loops and say farewell to it. I begin to see critters run across the trail. I think I see a lynx or a fox. Will sees nothing that I am seeing. He says ‘whatever you saw it wasn’t big enough to show up on my radar’. OK...I focus on running down a section that I know comes to the chalk-marked turn-around from the first out-and-back. An incline begins and I know I am close to it. I am really sucking wind. Will suggests I walk. I shake my head and say ‘Not until I get to that chalk’. A few yards later we hit the chalk--now I know I only have 5k between me and the BUCKLE!!!
We walk the rest of the hill and turn onto more ‘single track’. I run the best I can. I focus on being strong and smooth and flowing over the ground. It is becoming hard for me to see--I think my contacts are drying out. Will’s headlamp behind me is making my shadow obscure the trail. I ask him to run to the side of me on the grass. That helps, but my vision is still kinda strange.
I am still not looking behind me, but I am aware when Will steals a glance back because of his headlamp. I am glad he says nothing. We hit one of the last hills and I walk, breathing hard. I want to run it, but I know my ‘run’ would likely be a point of diminishing returns. I try to recall an upcoming landmark--a house with a bunch of junk in the backyard including a pile of couches. I know at that point I have about a mile or so left. Will reminds me to stand up straight and focus on getting up the hill.
I get to the flat section and run. We pass the couch-house! I remember that there are some orange reflector rods about 1/2mi from the finish. Then there is one more little hill and straightaway until the garbage can at the ‘T’. I start straining to see a glimpse of the reflectors. I am running with effort, and Will reminds me that I’m gonna get my buckle. I turn on my ipod. The Cult’s ‘Fire Woman’ starts playing. PERFECT!!! I see the reflector rods and push myself to run past and around a bend and up a little hill. Another straightaway...I SEE THE GARBAGE CAN!!! WOOHOO!!! I make the turn to the last downhill into the finish. I hear someone yell ‘runner’ and I switch off my headlamp and yell “BUCKLE!!!” as I run through the finish.
It is 4am. Ashley has come back to see me finish. Andy is there with flowers. Will paced me to a great finish--he really helped me run smart. Danny is out on the course with my dad. Michael is asleep somewhere.
Finish time: 21h 53min. First female.

The Buckle: Van Phan (Pigtails) herself awards me with my buckle. It is heftier and nicer than I had pictured and I am honored to have her present it to me especially since she had just completed her 200mile race a few hours before! Alongside the buckle was a button saying ‘Pigtails Challenge--I only did ½’ . I love it! I get the photo ops done.
Pigtails congratulates me on being the first female finisher of the 100miler. She gives me a certificate for shoes! Yay! She asks me if it’s time for me to try anything hot. I tell her I don’t run well in the heat. Then I realize she was asking me if I wanted food, not about races. She laughs and says ‘minutes after finishing her first 100 she’s thinking about BadWater--this is my kind of runner!’ ;-)



The Aftermath:
I walk around a bit. I’m not really hungry, but I manage to drink my recovery drink. My feet hurt worse now than they ever did out on the course. I take off my shoes and put on my Crocs. I change my clothes, but can’t figure out how to get my calf sleeves off, so I leave them on. I get my sleeping bag and lie down and rest while I am waiting for my dad to finish. Somehow Danny got him back out on the course. He still has a few more laps to go.
I chat with other finishers and cheer for those coming through the start/ finish. I try to nap, but I can’t really get comfortable.
My dad comes through and looks better than at any point when I had seen him on the course. Danny is pacing him and is tired, but keeping him moving. He tells me that pacing Dad is like ‘getting a mule out of a canyon’. Where he comes up with these things I do not know. I am happy that my dad recovered well enough to get back out there. I tell him to get the buckle!




I see my friend Kristin finish, and my friend Jason, and Vivian. It is so unique to share the same challenge. I see Monte come through and keep on going--he is so tenacious and consistant. Then I saw him finish and get his buckle! :-)
My dad finishes just under 30h. He got the BUCKLE!!!
Each time I have to get up and walk it is very slow and painful because of my feet. My leg muscles don’t really feel bad at all. I’ve felt worse after marathons in that respect.

I drive myself home and have to shift by using my heel.
Honestly, the walk from my car up to my front door was MUCH more painful than anything I experienced during the entire 100mi race. Strange. I kinda feel guilty like I should have suffered more during the actual race...I didn’t have any really low points. I think that is because of the loop course and always being able to see fellow runners out there and knowing/ seeing the 200 and 150 milers still moving forward made me feel like I had nothing to whine about. It was also nice to know exactly where the aid station would be and have the luxury of having whatever I wanted ready to go. My only real issue was with my feet, but that worked out OK even though I had to sit for a long time and deal with it. I had good help and felt it would be better to deal with it sooner and in the daylight than chance what might happen later in the dark.
So, this being the day after, I am soaking my feet in epsom salts and sitting around all day, so that is why I had time to write up a detailed race report. ;-)
I plan on taping insoles to my feet and wearing Crocs in order to walk around tomorrow. I don’t think I can get my normal shoes on.

Things I learned:
Following a good training plan worked
Staying off caffeine before the event worked
Stick to your pace plan--it works! (Thank you Betsy!!!)
Stick to your nutrition plan--eat real food in small amounts.
Hydrate well
Having a fun distraction (my cameras and Xshot) helps
A good crew and pacers are invaluable
Focus on the positive and what is ahead
I need to learn how/ when to change my socks
It helps tremendously to have someone work on your feet for you if possible. I do not know how I would have fixed my feet without Becky. It would have been very difficult.
***ANYTHING can happen in a 100mile race--even a win by a rookie in the last 5 miles!***

Yes, I think I will do another 100 sometime... ;-)




Visit the Pigtails Challenge!!

Thank you Kim Kuhlmann for sharing your ultra "kuhl" race report with ontherunevents.com!!














No comments:

Post a Comment