Flanagan, Hartmann lead American finishers; Samuelson records impressive time 30 years after her big win
Running USA staff and wire service reports
April 15, 2013
American Jason Hartmann recorded another strong Beantown performance, repeating his fourth place standing from 2012. He ran 2:12:12, off his personal best of 2:11:06 but more than two minutes faster than his 2012 Boston time. Defending champion Wesley Korir was fifth.
The elite American women were led by U.S. Olympian Shalane Flanagan, making her debut Boston appearance not far from the town of Marblehead, Mass., where she was raised. Flanagan finished fourth in 2:27:08. Fellow Olympian and training partner Kara Goucher was sixth in 2:28:11. (Image credit: PhotoRun)
Flanagan was openly disappointed not to reach the podium.
“What we all dream about as athletes is winning and Kara and I really wanted to win this for everyone, especially people who have supported me here,” she told a local TV station. “I really wanted to thank them and I was hoping a laurel wreath was the way to thank them.”
Recording an impressive performance in the women's race was the legendary Joan Benoit Samuelson, 55, a member of the Running USA Hall of Champions. Samuelson, who was attempting to run within 30 minutes of her 2:22:43 here in 1983, which was then a world record. She finished in 2:50:37.
Samuelson reacted to the tragic events that unfolded later on Monday at the race's finish line.
"Prayers to those in the closely knit running community near and far," she said on her Twitter account.
117th Boston Marathon
Boston, MA, Monday, April 15, 2013
1) Lelisa Desisa (ETH), 2:10:22, $150,000
2) Micah Kogo (KEN), 2:10:27, $75,000
3) Gebregziabher Gebremariam (ETH), 2:10:28, $40,000
4) Jason Hartmann (USA / CO), 2:12:12, $25,000
5) Wesley Korir (KEN), 2:12:30, $15,000
6) Markos Geneti (ETH), 2:12:44, $12,000
7) Dickson Chumba (KEN), 2:14:08, $9000
8) Jeffrey Hunt (AUS), 2:14:28, $7400
9) Daniel Tapia (USA / CA), 2:14:30, $5700
10) Craig Leon (USA / OR), 2:14:38, $4200
1) Rita Jeptoo (KEN), 2:26:25, $150,000
2) Meseret Hailu (ETH), 2:26:58, $75,000
3) Sharon Cherop (KEN), 2:27:01, $40,000
4) Shalane Flanagan (USA / OR), 2:27:08, $25,000
5) Tirfi Tsegaye (ETH), 2:28:09, $15,000
6) Kara Goucher (USA / OR), 2:28:11, $12,000
7) Madai Perez (MEX), 2:28:59, $9000
8) Diane Nukuri-Johnson (BDI), 2:29:54, $7400
9) Ana Dulce Felix (POR), 2:30:05, $5700
10) Sabrina Mockenhaupt (GER), 2:30:09, $4200
Complete results and more at: www.bostonmarathon.org
this article Courtesy of Running USA wire